The Saint-Peter-and-Paul Basilica of Paramaribo is considered the largest wooden building in the Western Hemisphere. In 1826, the Catholic Church adapted De Verrezene Phoenix, a former Duch-Jewish theater, into a church. In this place, the construction of a wooden church began in 1883, which was completed in 1901. The wood used in the interior was unpainted, so the reconstruction was needed in 1977. Reconstructruction was carried out, but it was repeated in 2002 because the problem with termites and wood rot remained. The Saint-Peter-and-Paul Basilica can accommodate about 900 believers. Masses are held every day and an English-speaking guide is available on request.