Palmtree Garden, or Palmentuin as it is called in Dutch, is a large Royal Palm garden located near the Presidential Palace in Paramaribo. This garden was opened to the public in 1685 by order of Cornelis van Aerssen van Sommelsdijck, then governor of colonial Suriname. In the year 1688, the garden was closed to the public and remained so until the early 20th century. The Palmtree Garden was used in that period only by the rulers of Suriname, Capuchin monkeys, and numerous bird species. Today's visitors enjoy the company of animals in the shade of tall palm trees. UNESCO placed Palmtree Garden on the World Heritage Sites list in 2002.