The city of Sopron is known in Hungary as the Most Loyal City. It received this epithet in 1921 after the majority of citizens declared that they wanted the city to belong to Hungary. The symbol of the city, and therefore the symbol of loyalty, is the Fire Tower. Built on the ruins of Roman walls, the square pedestal initially served as the city gate, and the tower served for fire guards to locate fires, to spot caravans of wine buyers coming (this area is famous for wine production), or to alarm the enemy arrival. The tower got its present appearance in the 17th century, after the (ironically) great fire that devastated the city.