Fort George was constructed in the early 18th century on the site of a French artillery battery installed during the 17th century. This building was originally named Fort Royal, and in 1763 it was given its present name. Over time, the fortification has changed its purpose. In the beginning, this was the city's headquarters, until today, when the Royal Grenada Police Force has the headquarters located in this building. Parts of the building are open to visitors, and the view from the fortress on the harbor and the city is incredible.